NEW AND IMPROVED Zoom H4NPRO Handy Recorder
Record cleaner, clearer, and closer than ever before.
Features at a Glance
· Four-track simultaneous recording
· High-fidelity mic preamps
· Built-in X/Y stereo microphones, adjustable between 90˚ and 120˚
· Record up to 140 dB SPL with X/Y microphones
· Two mic/line level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
· Stereo 1/8″ Mic In mini phone jack
· +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line
In mini phone jack
· Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
· New rubberized and ergonomic body with improved 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
· Built-in reference speaker for fast playback
· Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
· Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
· Onboard Mid-Side decoding
· Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
· Up to 99 marks per recording
· Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
· Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
· Chromatic tuner and metronome
· Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
· Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
· Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
· USB port for file transfer to and from computer
· 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
· Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adapter
· Runs on 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries with up to 6 hours of operation (up to 10 hours in Stamina mode
Brilliant Four-Track Audio Recording for Music, Film, Podcasting, and Beyond
At Zoom we’re always developing new ideas to improve the performance and function of our Handy Recorders. With the new H4n Pro, we’ve taken everything creators love about the H4n and brought it to the next level.
The Zoom H4NPRO Handy Recorder isn’t just improved, it’s superior in every way. With advanced X/Y microphones, incredibly natural-sounding preamps, and a super-low noise floor, you can record everything from the Indy 500 to the fluttering of a hummingbird with extraordinary realism.
Welcome to the new gold standard in field recording.
Built-in Stereo Recording
X/Y stereo recording covers a wide area while capturing sound sources in the center with clarity and definition. The angle of its two unidirectional condenser mics can easily be changed from 90 degrees for a tightly focused stereo image to 120 degrees for a wider image simply by twisting the mic capsules.
The H4n Pro provides an onboard MS decoder for Mid-Side recording with external microphones. This allows you to adjust the width of the stereo image, making it especially useful for sound design and broadcasting.
Inputs and Outputs
The two locking combo connectors accept either XLR or ¼” balanced/unbalanced phone cables, handling mic- and line-level signals as well as instrument-level signals. Phantom Power of +24 or +48 volts can be applied to both inputs. Plus, there’s a stereo 1/8” Mic jack for external audio sources, including lavalier microphones requiring 2.5 volts of plug-in power.
A stereo ⅛” Line/Phone Out, with dedicated volume control, allows for headphone monitoring or connection to your DSLR, while the built-in monophonic speaker allows for quick playback reference. In addition, a USB port enables fast file transfer, firmware updates, and use as a 2-in/2-out audio interface for computers.
A new rubberized, ergonomic body is perfect for use in the field or with a camera, while new locking XLR/TRS connectors ensure your mic cables stay secure. Highly portable, the H4n Pro can travel anywhere for convenient mobile recording.
Three Ways to Record
STEREO MODE uses the built-in X/Y microphones (or external mics) and is convenient for recording live performances, acoustic instruments, dialogue, and more.
In 4CH MODE, you can record with the built-in X/Y mics and two external inputs simultaneously, great for getting live room sound and a stereo board feed at the same time.
MTR MODE (Multi-track Mode) turns your device into a four-track studio, with built-in effects, overdub functions, and the ability to work with previously recorded sound files.
Pre-Record (for STEREO/4CH mode)
Pre-Record ensures that you’ll never miss the start of a great take. The device is continuously listening, keeping the previous two seconds* of audio whenever you hit RECORD.
*One second when recording at 96k or working 4CH mode.
Auto-Record (for STEREO/4CH mode)
Auto-Record automatically starts recording when a user-set sound level is detected. There’s also an Auto-Record Stop function, which ends the recording as soon as the incoming signal drops below the user-set stop level.
The Zoom H4NPRO Handy Recorder offers studio-grade effects and emulators to enhance your recordings. Choose from a variety of effects, including compression, limiting, reverb, delay, echo, a low-cut filter, and more.
There’s an onboard metronome and tuner, along with dozens of amp models and effects crafted for guitar and bass. Additionally, you can loop playback and adjust pitch and speed independently, making the H4n Pro a perfect tool for phrase training
Supported File Types
The Pro records audio in both WAV and MP3 formats. It supports 16- and 24-bit WAV audio at sampling rates of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz. The WAV files are automatically time-stamped, making them Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant, allowing precise synchronization in post-production
Battery Life and Recording Times
The H4n Pro runs on 2 AA batteries, providing up to 6 hours in normal operation, or up to 10 hours when operating in STAMINA mode. An optional AD-14 AC adapter allows the H4n Pro to be powered from any standard wall outlet.
The H4n Pro accepts SD and SDHC cards up to 32 gigabytes.
Edit and Record Software Included
The H4n Pro comes with free download licenses for Steinberg’s Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, representing a complete audio production toolkit. Create your own music utilizing the Pro’s USB audio interface function or expand your capabilities with Steinberg’s renowned audio software.
Currently shipping with:
Cubase LE8 for Mac OS X 10.9/10.10 and Windows 7/8/8.1
Wavelab LE8 for Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
What’s included with the H4n Pro:
· H4n Pro Handy Recorder
· Protective case
· 2 x AA batteries
· Operation manual
· Download license for Steinberg Cubase LE and WaveLab LE software
Optional H4nSP accessories:
· PCH-4n Protective Case
(compatible with both Zoom H4n and H4n Pro Handy Recorders)
· WSU-1 Universal hairy windscreen
· MA-2 mic clip adapter
· RC4 wired remote control
· HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount Adapter
· AD-14 AC adapter
H4n Pro Accessory Package (APH-4nPro)* includes:
· Hairy windscreen
· Splitter cable
· Attenuator cable
· USB cable
· AD-14 AC adapter
*H4n Pro Accessory Package sold separately